Did you know that the average American throws away 70 pounds of clothing per year, but that, in fact, 95% of clothing is recyclable? Recycling old clothing is better for the environment, and donating new or gently used clothing is good for our society. As 2015 approaches, here are some resources for donating and recycling your new and used bras.
done with that bra? donate or recycle!
1. The Bra Recyclers Send in your bras, and The Bra Recyclers will give them to people in need! From the company's website: "We are a textile recycling company specializing in the recycling and reuse of used and unused bras." The Bra Recyclers specialize in redistribution and environmental education.
2. Free the Girls From the company's website: "Free The Girls is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that works to provide jobs to survivors of sex trafficking in developing countries by helping them set up micro enterprises selling bras. And, through the collection of bras in Western countries, we strive to educate people and organizations about the scourge of human trafficking worldwide."
3. Soma Soma, the intimates branch of Chico's, hosts an annual event entitled One Million Bras, aimed at collecting bras for victims of domestic violence. Since they collect the bras in-store at malls across the US, it's an easy way to donate to a good cause. (I'm not familiar with Chico's manufacturing or business practices otherwise, but this cause is solid.)
4. Goodwill As ever, there's Goodwill. Obviously, you don't know if these bras are going to people in need or people with six-figure salaries who are bargain hunting, but donating to Goodwill keeps clothes out of the landfill. Yay for the environment! Bonus: Goodwill recycles unsold clothing.
5. Bluestockings Bra Drive for Rosie's Place: Boston, January 2015 Bluestockings will be having a bra drive for Rosie's Place, the oldest women's shelter in the United States right here in the Boston metro. Stay tuned for details, which will be sent out through our email list, so make sure you're signed up via the link on our homepage!